1. Ajay Thakur is a native of the Nalagarh district in the Himalayas. He was born on 1 May 1986. His father was a wrestler and coach. Ajay Thakur started playing kabaddi at the age of 10.
2. At the age of 10, Ajay ran away from home to play in the kabaddi tournament.
3. Ajay Thakur, having 14 years of professional kabaddi experience, won his first international gold medal at the 2007 Asian Indoor Games. Ajay Thakur played an important role in the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup. He was the No. 1 raider with the most raid points and overall highest scorer with 6 points. He was also the Man of the Tournament in the Kabaddi World Cup 2016.
4. Ajay Thakur led the Indian team for the first time at the 2017 Asian Kabaddi Championships in Gorgan, Iran, followed by the captain of the Indian team at the Kabaddi Masters Dubai 2018.
5. Ajay Thakur has played in all seasons of Pro Kabaddi, in the first two seasons he has played for Bengaluru Bulls, and in the third and fourth seasons, he has played for Puneeri Paltan. In the fifth season, the Tamil Thalaivas new team took Ajay Thakur into their squad.
6. Ajay Thakur’s Flying Jump is famous in Kabaddi.
7. He is a member of the Himachal Pradesh Police Service Cadre who currently serves as Deputy Superintendent of Police.
8. He was awarded Himachali of the Year at the Himachal Excellence Awards after his gold at the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon.
9. He is widely known as the expert of Do or Die Raid.
10. Ajay Thakur, in 2019 was awarded the Padma Shri initially and later the Arjuna Award.