Stats: Asian Games 2018
JAKARTA – On Sunday 19 August, the kabaddi competition will start at the 2018 Asian Games.
- India has won all gold medals in kabaddi – seven in men’s events (1990-2014) and two in women’s event (2010-2014).
- The only sport at the Asian Games in which there have been more gold medals that have been won by a single NOC is dancesport: China won all 10 events in Guangzhou in 2010.
- India is also the only NOC to have claimed a medal in all kabaddi events at the Asian Games (men and women). Bangladesh and Pakistan follow on seven medals each.
- India has never lost a kabaddi match at the Asian Games.
- Coming into the 2018 Asian Games, India has only won more gold medals in athletics (71) than in kabaddi (9).
- Rakesh KUMAR (IND) and Navneet GAUTAM (IND) were part of India’s team that won the men’s tournament at each of the last three Asian Games.
- India has also won all three world titles (international format) hosted by the International Kabaddi Federation: all on the men’s side in 2004, 2007 and 2016.
- Coming into Jakarta 2018, Bangladesh has claimed seven of their 12 medals at the Asian Games in kabaddi.
- Pakistan’s seven medals in kabaddi have all come in the men’s tournament. Pakistan and India are the only NOCs to have won a medal in all seven men’s kabaddi events held at the Asian Games.
- In both 2010 and 2014, Iran claimed a medal in the men’s and women’s kabaddi tournament at the Asian Games (G0-S3-B1).
- Iran lost the final against India in the men’s tournament in 2010 (37-20) and 2014 (27-25), and in the women’s tournament in 2014 (31-21).
- Thailand has won a medal in both of the women’s kabaddi competitions held at the Asian Games, losing the final in 2010 against India (28-14), and claiming a bronze medal in 2014.