8 Interesting facts about Indian Kabaddi team at Asian Games
Indian Kabaddi Team is very dominated side at the world kabaddi. It has won all the international kabaddi tournaments. India has won all the Gold Medals in kabaddi since it has made its debut at the Asian Games in 1990.
So looking back at the historic gold performance Indian team will aim at to bag its 8th consecutive gold medal at the 2018 Asian Games, Indonesia.
Asian Games 2018 will start from 18th August and kabaddi matches will be played from 19th August at the Garuda Theater, Jakarta.
Here’s some interesting trivia about Indian kabaddi team at the Asian Games :
– In 1990 Indian men’s kabaddi team beat Bangladesh to win its first-ever gold at the Asian Games. It was the only gold medal which India won at that Asian Games.
– Then after India continued its golden performance at Asian Games and won the gold medal in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 which is the most by any country.
– Highest win margin of the team was by 63 points in 1998 Asian Games where India beat Sri Lanka. Score India- 76, Sri Lanka- 13
– In 2014 Iran gave a tough fight to the team but due to the experience of the Indian team, it got succeeded in grabbing its 7th gold medal. India beat Iran as only by 2 points (27-25) at very last minute of the match. It was India’s lowest win margin in the history of Asian Games.
– Till now India has faced only three countries in the finals and they are Bangladesh (1990, 1994, 2002), Pakistan (1998,2006) and Iran (2010, 2014).
– Indian women’s team has won its both gold medals at Asian Games in 2010 and 2014.
– Former Indian Kabaddi Team Captain Rakesh Kumar and former team player Navneet Gautam have played most Asian Games by India. Both of them were part of the team which won the gold medal at Asian Games 2006, 2010 and 2014.
-Indian men’s Kabaddi team have not a single match in the last 4 edition of the Asian Games.